Thursday, June 22, 2006

Krispy Kreme Opens in Melbourne


That's right folks, the doughnut that everyone used to go to Sydney for is finally available in Melbourne, just a short 15 minute drive from where I live...

For a chain that first opened its doors in New Orleans in 1937, they have taken Australia by storm, and I am quite surprised that Melbourne is only just getting it's first store now, after opening it's first Australian store in Penrith (West of Sydney) in 2003.

They are pretty good doughnuts, and I'm looking forward to getting my free "birthday dozen" from last year, which I got a coupon in the mail for, just for being a "Friend of Krispy Kreme"

I can't believe the hype around it though. Reports on the news tonight indicated that there was a traffic queue of over 1 km, with people waiting to buy their doughnuts, and I even read yesterday, that you could camp out over night, waiting for the store to open this morning, as the company was putting on entertainment, and providing bean bags, and the like for people to make themselves comfortable for the long haul...

Jen and I'll most likely mosy over on the weekend, or at least before the 30th of June, to pick up my free dozen... I had planned to organise a mini-cruise for the WRX Club for this weekend, to go and buy some, and see them being made, but figured it's best to do it in a few months when the hype has died down a bit...

Then again, when I look at these pictures, I'm tempted to go for a quick drive, just to see how long the queue REALLY is!!!

No comments: